Content marketing isn’t easy, and creating great website content that people want to link to and share is hard. However, with a little know how you can dramatically increase your contents effectiveness. The following 15 points will help you to tune your content to maximise its effectiveness, and bring more traffic to your website.
- Shorter URLs are better, the average number of characters in a top ranking URL is 50.
- Include different forms of media such as graphics and video. Interactive content is twice as effective at converting visitors than static content.
- Create better titles, the click through rate (CTR) of a page has a 0.67 correlation with ranking. Better titles will increase the number of visitors and improve your position in the search results.
- Keep it simple, the average Flesch readability score of a top ranking post is 76.5. That means it’s written in a way thats easily understood by 13-15 year olds.
- Viewers like to get to the key content fast, 78% of top ranking pages included a bulleted list.
- Use larger font sizes, top ranking pages have an average 15.8px font size for the main text.
- Improve your websites speed and optimise your images. Pages ranking in the top 1-2 spots had the smallest image file sizes compared to the rest of the top 30 pages.
- Use lots of images, the average top ranking article has 9 images.
- Use the best quality professionally produced photographs and graphics. High quality images get 121% more shares.
- Use a tall image, 800px tall images get 57% more pins on pinterest.
- Spread your images out, the most successful articles have an image every 75-100 words.
- Increase your social media shares by making it easy for viewers, use floating social media buttons on the side of the page.
- Offer as many different linking and sharing options as you can, top ranking pages have more links and shares then those below them.
- Link to relevant and authoritative pages, top ranking pages have more links the lower ranking pages.
- Start investing in long content, the average post length for top ranking pages is 2416 words.
Now that you’ve created some amazing content you’re going to want to tell the world about it. The easiest way to share your content is through social media. You can increase the number of people who click through to your post by sharing at the right times for each social network.
- Facebook: Share from Thursday to Sunday, between 1 and 4 pm.
- Twitter: Share from Monday to Thursday, between 12 and 3 pm, and again at 5 pm.
- Linkedin: Share Tuesday to Thursday between 5 and 6 pm.
- Pinterest: Share on Saturdays and Sundays between 8 and 11 pm.
This infographic was created by Siege Media.